Can we all just be on an even keel?

Can we all be on an even keel? I'm not so sure. I decided to write this Blog to better deal with my feelings, about issues important to me, our country, society and the U.S. political machines that are inevitably taking away any rights we "the people" may still have. What will be next...our right to our last rite? Sorry a little play on words. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I hope that this Blog turns out to be humorous to someone besides myself in the end. ~D







Monday, July 26, 2010

I'm not actually on an even keel today, not even close. Overall, I am even keeled but I'm not so sure why most people aren't. I listen and read and strive to understand people but the more I do, the more I find that they are fickle. We are just happy to ride on someone's coattail, waiting for the next big "thing" to come along. Tell me my friends, when did we (the U.S.) become so judgmental, yet at the same time so complacent and gullible. We judge the book by its cover in almost every case. We obsess about what other people think and do. Then because it's not enough to dream of getting the "things" others have, we watch their every move trying to emulate them. We often overextend our resources and jeopardize our underlying moral values only to find out that those we mimic have little or no substance but lots of meaningless "things". At the end of all our observant "want", all we're left with is "things". They weren't "things" WE wanted and now we have to pay for them! What a betrayal!

We set our goals at mostly unattainable heights. Have you talked to a kid lately? They all have stars in their eyes. I'm not saying that as children we didn't want those things too, but I feel that we were at least realistic. We weren't encouraged to pursue drama, the arts or anything that you probably wouldn't be able to make a buck at. Yet most kids I know are taking acting lessons, dance lessons or drama classes. We hold out hope against hope. While all along our society continues to pass along the right to succeed with a family name. If you're a child of a someone famous it's pretty much in the cards that you'll be successful even if you don't try. I'm not bashing anyone, this has been the American way since the beginning of America. We've bartered, sold and changed our names for generations in an effort to be one of the "lucky" ones who has the best "things". While we haven't sold our souls outright yet, we're getting there very fast.

I remember reading once that "the man that dies with the most toys wins." I think we've taken this to a level that didn't exist when that quote was written. I think we need to turn a corner here America and change that quote to "the man that dies with the most integrity wins." I believe it would eliminate a lot of competition. It's much easier to get "things" than integrity. You can't pay for integrity.

And get ready to pay because for every"thing" else there's...Mastercard!

~D

No comments:

Post a Comment